Pass Christian     |     HISTORY
Colonial Period   |   Early 1800s   |   Charlot Tract   |   Pass Christian Hotel   |   Duel in the Pass   |   Mexican Gulf Hotel   |   Pass Time Line   |   Heritage Research   |   Pass Flag   |   PC Song   |   Hiern Family   |   Pass Christian Photos   |   Remembrances   |   Amazon Books   |   Links

Pass Time Line
Pass Christian -- Significant Dates
Researched and Compiled by Dan Ellis
1699, March, d'Iberville landed at PC peninsula area
1699, June, Bienville, Jean Baptiste Saucier and others named Bay of St. Louis and hunted wild game on the Peninsula, returning to hunt once more in August on their return to Ship Island.
1700, Jan 12, Bienville sounded the "Passe aux Huistres" (Oysters) west of Cat Island (later to be named Passe aux Christian)
1700, Jan 22, Bienville stayed night on east Bay St. Louis bluffs on returning from Mississippi River
1713-1717, Antoine Crozat promoted land specu-lation and development in French Louisiana
1717, Madame de Mezieres held concession to all lands around Bay of St. Louis
1718, Map of New France and Gulf drawn in Paris by Comte DeLisle
1719, Christian Ladner arrived aboard the "Le Marie" age 20, he married Marie Brunet (Brunel)
1723, Hurricane devastated the Coast from Bay St. Louis to Pascagoula causing many of existing settlers to move to safer havens
1727, Birth of Christian Ladner's son, Nicholas Christian Ladner, who developed Cat Island in 1745, and later, in 1788, Old Chimneys (at east Long Beach)
1732, Early French Map shows Pass Christian as "Oyster Pass" (Passe aux Huistres) (in 1732 Map, the pass was also called Basudre aux Huistres) currnetly Pass Christian.
1745, Nicholas Christian Ladner married Marianne Patier, moved to Cat Island (Namesakes for Pass Christian and Pass Marianne)
1763, Treaty of Paris -- French withdrew, ceding East of MS to England and ceding West of MS to Spain including New Orleans
1779, Spanish took control of East and West Florida (Spanish Governor Galvez confirmed all holdings of persons engaged in real occupancy and improvement of lands previously granted during British and French dominion.)
1781, Francois Carriere, third husband of Widow Asmard, laid claim to all of Pass Christian peninsula (Spanish Land Grant) (claimed to have been settled earlier by Carriere and used as a Dairy Farm) --- Actually, the Widow Asmard was original owner.
1781, July 31;  Nicholas Christian Ladner registered ownership of Cat Island claiming he had resided on it for 35 years prior (1746)
1781, Juan Cuevas, Andelusian, moved to Cat Island and married Marie Ladner
1781, Jean Baptiste Martial Nicaise moved from Mobile to Wolftown (DeLisle).  He married Louise Baptiste Christian Ladner, daughter of Christian Ladner, in 1802
1783, Chevalier Dedeaux moved to DeLisle, first wife was Madaline Saucier, and his second Wife was Ursule Nicaise
1788, May;  Nicholas Christian (Ladner) petitioned and granted land on Coast (Old Chimneys at Long Beach bordering Francois Carriere's / Widow Asmard Pass Christian peninsula)
1793, Dec;  Bartheleme Grelot granted 20 arpents in Delisle
1794, July 6;  Phillipe Saucier received Delisle grant, 20 arpents
1796, Pierre Moran moved to northside Wolf River
1796, Will of Julia de la Brosse (Widow Asmard), (codicil in 1797)
1799, Widow Asmard deeded 800 Arpents (downtown PC) to Charles Asmar (Her freed slave)
1803, Louisiana Purchase
1804, Coast postal service instituted over-land from Fort Stoddard through Mobile to New Orleans consisting of 200 miles taking 25 days
1805, Indian Treaty resulted in Southeast Indians giving up Coastal lands
1809, Sep;  Barthelemy Pellerin surveyed and granted the Pass Peninsula (which was the former Widow Asmar's Claim excluding Charle's, "Charlot", 800 Arpents)
1810, a traveler reported 4 or 5 Free Negroes in the Pass with a number of summer homes built by rich New Orleanians, and 10 to 15 families in Bay St. Louis (Shieldsborough)
1810, forest roads and trails brought many Georgians and Carolinians to the coastal area
1810, West Florida independence, 74 day Republic, Sep 23 to Dec 10, Lone Star Flag.
1811, Jan 9-13;  Claiborne sent Doctor Flood to raise the American Flag on the Gulf coast and to appoint Justices of the Peace, one of whom was Philippe Saucier
1811, Jan 25;  Gen. James Wilkinson ordered 200 U.S. troops to the Pass followed by British Gen. Wade Hampton arriving with 800 British troops and 14 ships
1811, Dec 14;  Mobile County divided into Hancock, Jackson and Mobile
1812, Hancock County formed on Dec 14, from Pearl River to Bay of Biloxi
1812, Jun, War of 1812, ended in 1815
1813, Apr;  American Gen Wilkinson took Mobile
1813, Aug;  Creeks incited by Spanish killed 500 settlers at Fort Mims Massacre
1814, Mar 27;  Andrew Jackson led a contingent of Mississippi and Tennessee militia against Creek Indians at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend
1814, Sep;  Jackson headed the Seventh Military District (MS, LA, and TN), he defeated the British at Mobile and at Pensacola
1814, Dec 1;  Jackson arrived at New Orleans to prepare defenses against the British
1814, Edward Livingston purchased the 17,084 Arpents Pass Christian from Pellerin (purchased for $7000 of monies he was paid by Jean Lafitte)
1814, Dec 13;  Lt Tac Jones delayed the British armada from Pass Christian to the Rigolets
1815, Jan 8;  Battle of New Orleans, the victory resulted in the polyglot of Gulf Coast inhabitants becoming Americans and commencing the Great Migration
1817, Mississippi Statehood
1827, Schooner service established between New Orleans and Mobile
1830, Indian Removal Act, Trail of Tears
1830, Pass population was misstated as 1,962
1831, Lighthouses built at Pass and Cat Island
1831, Pass Christian Hotel built
1834, Freed Negro, Charlot Asmard's Will, leaving unsold balance of original 800 Arpents of downtown to Family and heirs
1835, Charles Asmard died (Freed Negro slave who owned all of Downtown Pass Christian.)
1836, Jan;  Edward Livingston's Will to wife Louisa granted remainder of original 17,084 arpents
1836, Dec;  Louisa Livingston sold much of Pass peninsula to John Henderson, Charles Shipman and David Hughes
1837, Trail of Tears, Creeks stayed several months at the Pass, Chief Moniac buried
1839, Dec 27;  Post Office established
1839, John Henderson, et al, platted and sub-divided the Pass peninsula for land development and lot sales
1839, First Steamboats came into use
1841, Feb 5;  Harrison County formed from Hancock and Jackson, July 5 first County Board meeting held at Mississippi City, the County seat
1842, Pass Road from Biloxi to the Pass made a County Road
1843, Night patrol Captain instituted by County, appointed W.M. Mosely followed by F.B. Hiern and later Ely Seph
1843, Land acquired from Edward Saucier for Catholic Church, later returned
1844, First Roman Catholic Mission Church built by Father Labbe
1846, Mississippi Public School Act
1846-1848;  Mexican War --- Gen Zachary Taylor
1847, First recorded Catholic Baptisms administered by Father Buteux
1848, Pass Christian chartered as a Town
1848, City boundaries expanded
1849, Trinity Episcopal Church built
1849, Birth of Yachting on the Gulf started at Montgomery's Pass Christian Hotel.  It was second in the nation, first in the South
1849-50, More than sixty new cottages built along Beach front
1850, Catholic cemetery established
1851, First, Catholic Parish Church built by Father Guerard, first Pastor
1852, City boundaries expanded
1853, Hancock Courthouse in Gainsville burned -- Pass Christian still part of Hancock County
1853, First new yellow fever case in the Pass
1855, John Henderson Will recorded for wife and sons
1858, Jan;  Louisa Henderson Will to daughter, Julia and son Elliot
1858, Apr;  City Ordinances revised and printed, street names included, Black Code drafted
1860, N. Bohn started men's clothing store
1861-1865, Civil War
1861, Mississippi secession
1862, Federal ships fired upon PC, Bed-sheet Surrender, PC Dahlgren Guard Flag made by local ladies taken by invading forces.
1865, PC Hotel purchased by Christian Brothers for a Boys' College
1866, The Pass Christian Hotel added a dome when it became Christian Brothers College
1866, End of Mississippi insurrection period
1866, 30 sawmills were in operation by Spring throughout the Coast
1867, Yellow fever killed 9 Catholic Brothers and many townsfolk
1870, Jan 11;  Sisters of Mercy started St Joseph's Academy for Girls (Second in Diocese)
1870, Feb, end of Reconstruction Era, Mississippi Congressional representation was restored in Washington
1870, Sisters of Mercy started St. Joseph Schools
1870, Nov 21;  L&N (Mobile and NO) Railroad established along the Coast providing passenger and freight service
1871, Railroad engine and cars crashed into Bay due to piles eaten by marine borers (Toredos)
1873, French Oyster Company opened on Front St. by Albert French
1875, Christian Brothers college closed due to Yellow Fever
1876, Pass Christian Hotel (Christian Brothers College) burned down
1876, St. Paul's Church burned down
1877, Pass Christian Downtown area burned
1877, L&N acquired the Mobile N.O. R.R.
1878, Yellow Fever epidemic
1878, Pass was first to use oyster and clam shells for roadway topping
1879, New, Second Catholic Church opened, dedicated to St. Paul
1879, John McGuinty donated land for a road to the West End RR Station
1880, Gulf Coast Beacon first publication, Gen. J.R. Davis publisher
1880, May 8;  Daily Commuter train began run from Ocean Springs to N.O.
1880, Major General Wm S Harney, a Union officer, acquired Beaulieu (Dixie White House) where he entertained Ulysses S. Grant
1882, New City Charter
1882, St. Joseph's School integrated Boys and Girls
1882, Sullivan vs Ryan fight at Mississippi City, Sullivan reportedly trained at the Pass
1883, Mexican Gulf Hotel opened, built by Gen. George Sherman
1884, First Artesian well dug in east Pass by John T. Hardie
1884, Wolf Town name changed to DeLisle with opening of Post Office
1884, Pass town boundaries expanded
1885, New City Hall constructed, built by Fred Sutter
1888, First Town water system
1890, M.J. Crawford, manager of Mexican Gulf Hotel wrote Reminiscences of 1880s
1893, Town Library started by the Ladie's Library Association
1893, Pass Christian Yacht Club began with revival of two regattas
1895, Charles L. Dyer wrote Along the Gulf, L&N Railroad stops
1895, Street ordinance naming Second, Gulf (Hwy 90), Menge, Fleitas, Seal and Boisdore.
1896, Rev. Father R.J. Sorin a native of France became Pastor of Our Lady of Good Hope in DeLisle
1897, Yellow Fever epidemic
1898, Gulfport incorporated
1898, Spanish American War
1899, Oct, Thirty telephones installed at Pass
1902, Hancock Bank opened Pass branch
1904, Elliot Henderson promoted land sales in Henderson Point and Pass Christian Iles
1904, Dunbar, Lopez, Dukate began seafood plant
1905, Town Library building purchased by Ladies's Library Association
1905, Long Beach incorporated
1908, Street Car line established to Biloxi
1908, First Electric Lights -- 132 installed
1911, St. Philomena's Catholic Church (now Mother of Mercy) dedicated
1912, 6 mph speed limit set for motor vehicles
1912, City limits extended to Boisdore on west and present Long Beach on east
1912, Woodrow Wilson visited the Pass for the Winter on Christmas Day, stayed at Beaulieu
1915, June;  Teddy Roosevelt visited the Pass as a guest of John Parker (former LA Governor)
1915, First Mardi Gras Parade
1915, Airplane landed at Oak street and the railroad at the playground
1915, The Lynn Castle Hotel burned down followed by the Magnolia Hotel (Miramar site) two weeks later
1915, Coast Hurricane
1917, Mexican Gulf Hotel burned down
1917, April, World War I
1917, First Fire Engine purchased
1918, Flu epidemic
1920, Garden Club organized
1921, Ferry service instituted at Bay from Henderson Point to Bay St. Louis
1923, Jun 13;  Pass Chamber of Commerce organized
1924, Rotary Club chartered
1925, Japanese gardens built by R.S. Hecht
1926, Aug 7;  First Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo, National Tarpon Tournament
1927, Grey Castle Hotel opened
1927, New Brick City Hall constructed at Market Street
1928, Natural Gas was installed at the Pass
1928, Mar 28;  Wooden Bay bridge opened to traffic
1929, Oct;  Spanish Trail Motorcade from St. Augustine to San Diego arrived in the Pass
1929, stock market crash
1930, Pass Christian Carnival Association reorganized Mardi Gras
1930, Horace White donated land for City Park
1935, WPA projects started in the Pass
1937, First Spring Pilgrimage co-sponsored with New Orleans
1937, Jan 16;  New Pass Christian High School formal opening
1937, Pass Yacht Club re-organized
1937, March 18;  Skipperette Club organized with 26 members
1938, Knost Regatta organized
1938, Jaycee Chapter organized
1941, Dec 8;  World War II
1942, Blackout curfew for duration of the War, utility poles painted white for night visibility
1942, Merchant Marines took over Inn-by-the-Sea at Henderson Point
1942, US Army took over Pine Hills Hotel complex at DeLisle
1943, Segregation laws enacted in hotels and dining facilities
1943, Rhea Memorial Park given to the Trinity Church
1946, Feb 20;  VFW chapter organized
1946, Wallace Walker acquired and began promotions of Henderson Point and Pass Christian Isles
1947, Jan 4;  Memorial Park Playground dedicated
1947, Sep 19;  Hurricane
1948, First parking meters, created contention between Mayor and Town Marshall
1950, Korean War
1950, Sand beach pumped in
1950, Garden Club reactivated
1952, Pass Christian Isle Golf Club began
1953, July 26;  PC Yacht Club purchased Canning Factory at Harbor location
1953, Aug 1;  Four-lane concrete Bay bridge
1953, Nov 14;  PC Isles Golf Club-House dedicated
1953, Dec 6;  Coast Art Group held first meeting
1953, Dec 21;  South lane of US Highway 90 opened
1954, Oct 17;  Henderson Point/Heights Volunteer Fire Dept - Fire Station dedicated
1955, Planning Commission created
1956, Pass Volunteer Fire Dept. chartered
1957, Aug 22;  Memorial dedication to Yellow Fever clergy victims of 1867
1957, First Frost Bite Regatta at PCYC
1958, Feb 11;  Knights of Columbus received Charter
1958, VFW acquired Fleitas Street building for Headquarters
1958, Oct 7;  Miss America - Mary Ann Mobley visited the Pass
1958, Dec 10;  the first PC Chamber of Commerce Building dedicated at East Harbor
1959, City Hall caught fire
1961, May 25;  Coast Guard Flotilla received Charter
1962, Vietnam War
1963, St Joseph's name change to St Paul's School
1965, US World & News proclaimed 5-mile stretch of Scenic/Hwy90 third wealthiest street in the Nation, behind Wall St & Palm Beach, FL
1964, May 4;  St Paul Elementary School dedicated
1965, Sep 9;  Hurricane Betsy
1966, Integration of Pass Public Schools
1966, Public Library Board created
1967, Gus Stevens Restaurant at Henderson Point burned down
1969, March 17;  First St. Patrick's Day Parade
1969, Aug 17;  Hurricane Camille
1971, Jan 16;  Jazz Funeral for Captain John Handy
1971, New Yacht Club dedicated
1971, Oct;  Friends of the Library organized (chartered in 1972)
1971, Oct 21;  World Heavyweight Champion Joe Louis visited
1971, Nov 14;  Trinity Episcopal Church consecration ceremonies
1972, Third Catholic Parish Church dedicated
1972, Annie's Restaurant at the Point burned
1973, June;  New Public Library opened
1973, Chamber of Commerce opened new building office at West Harbor
1974, Oct 27;  Trinity Episcopal Church celebrated 125th Anniversary
1975, PC Historical Society reorganized
1975, St. Paul Catholic Church received the Lady of Guadalupe statue
1976, Jan 9;  Bicentennial Celebrations, Re-enactment pageantry
1976, July 1;  Groundbreaking for Baptist Assembly Complex at Henderson Point
1976, July 4;  Bicentennial Celebrations at War Memorial
1977, Annual St Paul Seafood Festival reorganized
1981, Ter Chemicals, Inc, began operations
1981, Champion Shipyards, Inc added to Industrial Seaway
1982, Oct 14;  Dupont Plant 3rd Anniversary visited by Gov. William Winter
1982, Historic Preservation Ordinance passed
1983, Sep 20;  Kittiwake Baptist Church ground breaking services held
1985, First Christmas in the Pass
1995, First PCYC Female Commodore -- Shelly Colleen
1995, First VFW Female Commander -- Nita Favre
1995, St. Patrick's Day Parade re-organized "Krewe of Blarney Halfast Walkin Klub"
1995, Shopping Center opened at Henderson Avenue and Hwy 90
1996, Land purchase of Highway property fronting St. Paul Catholic Church
1997, St. Paul Catholic Parish Sesquicentennial
1999, Trinity Episcopal Church Sesquicentennial
1999, TriCentennial Celebrations
1999, First Jazz in the Pass organized
2000, PC Lighthouse Society formed
2003, Walmart Grand opening
2003, Town Library deeded to PC Historical Society
2004, New Bayou Portage bridge completed on Henderson/Hampton streets to DeLisle
2005, Condomania erupts.

Next Page