Donna Julia de la Brosse was also known as the Widow Asmard. When the Widow died, the disposition of her properties, although set down in her Will of 1797, were not acknowledged. Nevertheless, because she had earlier freed her family slaves, Charles and his wife Madelon and their children, --- his legal title to the large tract of land given by a Deed of Gift was upheld.
The Charles Asmard property, approximately 680 acres, fronted the beach and extended from west of Market Avenue to the middle of the 400 Block of East Scenic Drive near Seal Avenue and reched northward to the marshes at Bayou Portage.
This same property now encompasses most of the commercial district of Pass Christian. Upon the former Negro slave's death in 1835, the unsold portion of the Charlot property was passed on to nine of his heirs.
The map plat below-left was surveyed in 1809 showing the boxed-in Charlot Tract. The 1837 map at right shows the same Charlot Tract encompasing the downtown business district that was yet to be developed.
Disregarding the Widow Asmard's Will after her death, Bartholomew Pellerin, a Spanish Captain while Spain was still in contol, made claim to the vast remaining area of 17,084 arpents, comprising approximately 14,500 acres. This expansive area included all of Henderson Point extending eastward to Bear Point near the present day University of Southern Mississippi -- Gulf Park Campus at Long Beach. Pellerin sold his lands to Edward Livingston in 1814 -- and his widow sold the balance of that vast property to John Henderson, et al, in 1836. John Henderson and his son Elliot are acknowledged for developing Pass Christian as a resort community. John Henderson became well known as an outstanding and well versed United States Senator representing Mississippi on its entry into Statehood in 1817.